Resources for a Successful NC Countdown to College
We’ve put together these resources to help you complete Residency, FAFSA, and Applications during NC Countdown to College. Ahead of October, it’s a good idea to become familiar with these resources and to create your CFNC.org account so you’re ready to go!
The State of North Carolina has a required online process for students to determine eligibility for in-state tuition, state grants, and certain financial aid at colleges and universities in our state. This process is hosted at www.ncresidency.org and enables a student to use one residency determination for all two-year and four-year colleges in NC. Students must use the same username and password for www.ncresidency.org and www.CFNC.org.
Because the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step to paying for college, it’s important to have students fill it out as soon after October 1 as possible. Have the student (and parent) first create a FSA ID in order to login to complete the FAFSA. Students and parents need to complete the FAFSA with 2017 tax information. Be sure students check the Student Aid Report (SAR) after as it contains any errors that may need to be corrected! The FAFSA may seem daunting, but there is help available!
- Helpful link – www.FAFSA.ed.gov
- Check out our Financial Aid Map for the contact information of colleges in your area. Financial aid administrators are ready to help your students complete the FAFSA.
- FAFSA Day – October 27, 2018
- FINISH the FAFSA! – Track students’ progress in FAFSA completion (for more information, contact Marcia Weston)
- Information Needed for FAFSA and RDS
The third component of NC Countdown to College is helping students submit applications for admission. College Application Week is October 15-19, and we invite your school to participate by holding an event to assist students. During this week, many North Carolina colleges and universities waive their application fees. Qualifying students can use the College Board or ACT fee waiver for institutions not waiving their application fees. Register your school to receive event updates, technical recommendations to ensure your school is prepared, and tips for event success.
- Application Checklist
- Ask Me About It (door poster for educators)
- CFNC Professional Center FAQ (for educators)
- College Applications FAQ
- Electronic High School Transcript FAQ
- I Applied! Now What?
- Linked Application Information (colleges not using the CFNC application)
- List of Colleges Waiving Application Fees
- Register Your School as Hosting an NC Countdown to College Event
- Technology Guidelines for Schools (updated 9/18/18 with 2 more whitelisted sites)